Thursday, September 29, 2011

Carnival of Souls…

I think the Albemarle Sound Bridge might be enmeshed with the story in this film.    Before 1967, we were driving to NC and there was work being done on the bridge I am not sure of the circumstances.   I do clearly recollect us having to drive over an extension that went around the work area.  It was on the east side of the bridge and it was made of wood with no railings or anything and it was frightening to us to have to cross it.  My dad was driving so it was certainly before 1964, I am thinking 1962.  I don’t know if someone drove off the bridge or not.  I am sure one of my parents was thinking about the possibility of it.

Somehow now I think Dr. Liverman’s story about Columbia might tie into this.   The bridge from Fairfield to Columbia is like the bridge in this film and may have been wooden at that time.  We might have gone through Columbia to get to the Albemarle Sound Bridge.    We probably passed through Plymouth.

Watuppa pondAlbemarle Sound Bridge  Copy of lake mattamuskeet

No comments: